Directly descended from Viking brewers, our very own Adam A. knows just about everything there is to know about beer, and can even pronounce Reinheitsgebot. Check out his thoughts on the wide world of brew in his blog.
2017 Southern Home Brewer’s Challenge
The Southern Home Brewers Challenge (SHBC) is one of my favorite events we do every year. I mean, come on. It’s one of those special times a couple of the most important communities in beer—the homebrewers and commercial breweries—get together for one common goal: Make kickass beer.
Everyone wins. The amateur brewer gets his or her recipe selected by a pretty elite staff of judges, and then it gives the established brewer—in this case Reformation Brewery—a chance to brew outside of their regular routine. Of course, Reformation’s beer has always been on point, but this contest helps them get even more a little more experimental. And then our customers win too by drinking the winner of the entire contest in souvenir glassware. Now that’s cool.
Check out the full details below, and good luck to all the participants!
The Taco Mac Breakdown:
2017 Southern Home Brewers’ Challenge
Attention Home Brewers! Taco Mac and Reformation Brewing have partnered up to bring you the 5th annual Southern Home Brewer’s Challenge, an exciting pro-am competition where one winning home brew recipe is produced by a commercial brewery and sold at Taco Mac restaurants across the Southeast.
Here’s how it works:
Throughout the months of June and July, beer submissions will be accepted at specific Atlanta-area Taco Mac locations. Eligible dates and locations are listed below. The Southern Home Brewer’s Challenge panel of judges, made up of representatives from Taco Mac and Reformation Brewery, along with other Atlanta-area beer luminaries, will judge the submissions throughout the month of July. Once the winner has been announced on July 22nd, Reformation Brewery will take some time to fine tune the winning recipe to work within Reformation brew system specifications. Once a final recipe is reached, the beer will go into commercial production. The release date will be targeted for the very first opportunity in 2017 during Reformations’ Beer of the Month in November.
Submissions will be accepted at the following locations on the specified dates:
· FINAL DROP OFF – Friday, July 14th at Taco Mac at Woodstock
Things to think about when planning your submission:
· No more than two styles per brewer.
· The winning beer needs to be produced in a large quantity, so choose ingredients that are readily
· Reformation brews mostly ales, and in the interest of not tying up their equipment with a lengthy
lagering process, ale styles would be preferred.
All submissions must be:
· Two bottles of twelve ounces each. No big bottles and no growlers.
· Have an accompanying information sheet (will be provided at a later date)
· Received at the stores specified above, on the dates specified above, between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm.
· There will be someone on site to receive the samples during those times only. This will prevent loss,
breakage, or anything else that would prevent samples from getting to the tasting panel intact.
· If you miss the submission date, you must choose a different location to drop off your beer. If you leave
it at a location before or after the submission date and time, it will not get into the judging process.
· Please go to tmacrestaurants.com/southernhomebrewerschallenge for future details.
It’s time to get started!
May the best brew win!